SuperTiph and an Umbrella

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Then how do you roast a turkey?

I have made it to the USA!! Actually, I've been in this incredibly daunting country for a week now.

I spent my first week in the Au Pair School at St John's University on Long Island. It was good fun and I met Au Pairs from around the world, who will be going all over America. I also managed to squeeze in a tour of New York City. It wasn't in depth, but it did give me a look at some local hot spots (Rockafella centre, Time Square, the Empire State Building, Ground Zero, Madison Square Garden and took a ferry past the Statue of Liberty).

I spent a fair bit of time with the Swedish and German Au Pairs. They were all quite nice and taught me some basic phrases in their language. I also met the other Aussies who travelled over on a different plane and they were cool. There's a Swedish Au Pair in my city and an Aussie Au Pair in my state, only a shortish drive away.

Speaking of driving, I did that today, and it was a little confusing. When you make a left turn you go to the right side of the road. It's a bit bizzare. I was worst in the car park, but driving in America isn't something most people are good at, so I fit right in with all my learning.

I saw a squirrel too. So all you people who lie when you say the Invader Zim line, "I saw a squirrel...", now I can say, "You did not!! But I did!!" I have also seen snow. I stood in the falling snow twice, and I love it so much!! Unlike most other people, I'm not freezing cold, even outside in the wind. It was minus 2 (celcius) today, and I was outside in my jeans, a sleeveless shirt and my tracksuit top, the wind roaring past us and me saying to two other Aussies, "What's wrong with me? I'm not cold enough!!"

On the agenda for the upcoming week or two is learning my way around, learning to drive on the wrong side of the road, going shopping for some essentials and starting church shopping.

Let me know what's going on at home. Wish you were all here to see this place!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Lesley said...

1st post!!!! I LOVE YOU TIPH!
i gave it to the peach---> &:) < cause he's got hair!

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey tiph

long time no speak

sounds like ur fitting right in, and are having a fab-dabulous time, just a short post, im in a bit of a hurry.. just want to wish you all the very best (dont kill anyone on the road)

love lisa

5:34 PM  
Blogger Missus Upton said...

Lol, nothings wrong with you tiph, i don't feel cold either =P

sounds like you're having a great time! enjoy the snow for us would ya? =P

11:49 AM  
Blogger Lerchy said...

your a freak not cold what did you get dropped on your head and good news agmf pamphlets came to our house today and the we love volunteers banner with tiph, sean, ryan and leaslie and lerchy are holding it over the fence at main stage you can be satisfied with your work tiph the volunteers were loved sounds like your having fun and dont forget to toilet paper some american tree's for us

2:28 PM  
Blogger SuperTiph said...

I want to see this brochure with me in it!!!

12:54 AM  
Blogger Ponyb said...

we love volunteers! the only thing better than a volunteer is a volunteer with nachos!

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home