SuperTiph and an Umbrella

Saturday, May 27, 2006

...with showers forecast for later this week...

Job status update: I REALLY!! hate my current one (I'm never a happy camper after my 9 hour Saturdays, my apologies). I have been called for a second interview at Colorado with the store manager. So that's a good sign. I hope. Please pray I get this jobat Colorado, and then have the guts to quit the current one. There seem to be some added complications with the current one and what will happen if I quit.

Other than that, not much else to report. Not from the real world anyway. Not that I'd really call anywhere I go "the real world".

I have been contemplating some oxymorons of late (no my face ISN'T, Sean Taylor). Some of my favourites are: Microsoft Worx, MTV's "Real World", free - will offering, virtual reality, unbiased opinion, steel wool, specialize in everything, American English and waterproof sponge.

Also, thanks to the aid of ABC's "Spicks and Specks" (watch it, not just cos it's named after an fantastic Bee Gees song), I have taken more interest in what is known as "mondegreens". The origin, according to John Carrol of the San Francisco Chronicle is thus:

"As a child, the writer Sylvia Wright heard a plaintive Scottish ballad titled ``The Bonny Earl of Murray.'' One stanza, she believed, went like this:

Ye Highlands and Ye Lowlands/ Oh Where hae you been?/ They hae slay the Earl of Murray/ And Lady Mondegreen.

How romantic, she thought, Lady Mondegreen perishing with her lord in the fierce, romantic wars of medieval Scotland. It was only much later that she realized that they had actually slain the Earl of Murray and ``laid him on the green.''

She began to collect similar mishearings of song lyrics, poems, patriotic utterances and the like, and in 1954 published a small article about them, coining the word ``mondegreen.'' Then she died and 30 years passed and, voila, a columnist in San Francisco discovered the term and founded a small cottage industry -- the collection and dissemination of mondegreens.

So here are a few of my favourites (DISCLAIMER: None of these are my own. Some are lyrics my sister misheard, but to my knowledge I've haven't misheard lyrics since the Caramello Koala ad where I thought he said, right at the end, "I go with the flow", but my sister insists it's, "I overflow". I'm still open to hearing others opinions on this one).

Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze
The real lyrics were: 'Scuse me, while I kiss the sky
But were misheard as: 'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.
Creedance Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising
The real lyrics were: There's a Bad Moon on the Rise
But were misheard as: There's a bathroom on the right
Toby Mac - Extreme Days
The real lyrics were: I spy the eye of aprehension
But were misheard as: I spy the eye of every mansion

I makes me realise the complexity of both language and human perception. It's amazing that our brains can put together sounds in a different order to what we heard them, but not only that, often be able to correct it.

So after a monumental post, the floor is yours once again.

11 Comments:

Blogger jess said...

i'm pretty sure it's "i go with the flow" but i could be wrong

10:57 AM  
Blogger Ponyb said...

i have no idea what to write as a useful comment to this post. so intead, i'll just say...peter the pepper planter picked a pick of purple pickled peppers.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Shadow said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I love singing to songs

4:03 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

even if i dont know the correct words.

4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

peter piper picked a peck of pickled peppers, sean@, i have no idea what u are yabbering about, i have never heard that version in my life, and i thought it was 'i go with the flow' also.... but then again i am quite often wrong, and i do often misshear or missinterpret lyrics, its just so easy to do.... anyway... farewell, and tiph i will be praying for you and ur job sitch, as im sure many others will.... farewell cya friday and/or saturday!!!

4:44 PM  
Blogger SuperTiph said...

I think it's "I go with the flow too" because my sister has misheard far more lyrics than I have.

eg.
Delirious? - Reign down
Correct lyrics: "Do not shut the heavens"
She misheard them as: "Tuna shot the heavens"

4:37 PM  
Blogger z said...

I Know Your WHOLE NAME~!
muhahahah
ull neva know mine
EVER~!!!!!

How random was that?

12:07 PM  
Blogger SuperTiph said...

That was like, 10 randoms dude. How do you know my full name? Who's been telling my secrets? *looks suspiciouly at George because of force of habit then averts eyes because it couldn't possibly be him. He struggles to remember my first name.*

So, since you're so smart, list my 26 middle names.

11:05 PM  
Blogger z said...

OK I WILL
TIFFANY
1. Jane
2. Jane
3. Jane
4. Jane
5. Jane
6. Jane
7. Jane
8. Jane
9. Jane
10. Jane
11. Jane
12. Jane
13. Jane
14. Jane
15. Jane
16. Jane
17. Jane
18. Jane
19. Jane
20. Jane
21. Jane
22. Jane
23. Jane
24. Jane
25. Jane
26. Jane
Colledge

P.s sorry if i spelled ur last name wrong i think sean told me thats how i spell it.
Anyway Did i get ALL 26 of your middle names?

5:37 PM  
Blogger SuperTiph said...

Not even close. I'll give you a hint. Number 11 is "danger".

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home