SuperTiph and an Umbrella

Monday, February 19, 2007

We are gathered here to join this man and this woman in holy matress money

Hello hello!!

I am having a very wonderful weekend and I would like to tell you what I've been up to. The Browns are away. All of them, so I have had all weekend to do as I please, and believe me, I have.

I went and spent some quality time getting to know my local library. It was a very worthwhile experience and I came home with some entertainment for the weekend. Spent most of the night reading and watched a movie with the dogs. Friday nights are different here.

Yesterday was such a lovely day, the sun was shining and it was just cold enough, and the snow was so pretty on the ground, I decided to go to the park. As in, Central Park. Hannah was meant to come into the City with me (she's another Aussie Au Pair), but she couldn't, so I went by myself. I ate a giant pretzel in the Park, went for a walk, found the soup nazi from Seinfeld, took the subway to Chinatown and went to Times Square again. I did consider going to the wax museum, but I'd rather do that when I'm with someone who can take photos for me. I like New York City, but I still don't quite understand the method of the subways. It doesn't matter, I got to where I was going with no problems.

A tip for if you're ever in Chinatown, if you're browsing in a shop, don't touch anything. Interestingly, nearly all the shops in Chinatown are owned by Indians, and as soon as you touch something, even if you're just moving it to see the shirt underneath, they put it in a bag and ask you what else you want to buy. It's good to bargain though. Since every shop sells the same stuff you can generally get a decent price on things, particularly if you buy more than one thing. And they have guys that sell watches out of their coats on the street corners. They're easy to avoid, there's plenty of people to hide behind, failing that just look at them blankly and say, "No English" and walk away like you're about to miss your train. They usually hang out near subway entrances.

Grand Central Terminal is something else. It's really big and there are billions of people and it smells. So does everything south 43rd street it would appear. The buildings are so tall and so dense it kind of traps it all in. It also keeps the heat out because the sun can't shine through. It's very cold, and when a wind picks up you definitely know about it.

A couple of people from church got together at Anna's place last night and we just sat around and had a chat. Once I got home, I couldn't go to sleep so I rang home and watched What About Bob? Then I made macaroni and cheese at 2 in the morning. I ate about 3 forkfuls and got tired and went to bed.

Today I have to go and do some shopping and I'll go to church tonight and people will probably come to my place afterwards. Everyone's keen to do something after church because it's President's Day tomorrow and they don't have to go to work.

That's all for now. Let me know what you've been up to.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ponyb said...

tell me more about the library. i like those places. have you been to the real huuuuuge one in NYC? mum says it's grand. are the libraries over there like the ones here, with friendly atmosphere and posters and carpet and whatnot, or more like in the movies where everything is dead quiet, cold and empty? i'd love to know how libraries differ across the world, even if only amongst western nations.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Noof said...

I have been applying for the Queensland Union for teachers for independent schools and having selection criteria and stuff like that talked about for hours. I think I'll go home now.

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow....tiffany it sounds like your having the best time of your life in America...I have been missing you heaps....even though we hardly ever saw each other while you were here anyway....but still i think its because your in a different country and all...but I'm so glad that your having fun and making friends....just always remember that I'm praying for ya and that I love you and I miss you....love evelyn

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home