SuperTiph and an Umbrella

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Bran, Eat More Bran

A great big hello and an apology for not updating sooner. Our computer has been out since the flood. Not that you know about the flood, but I'm here to tell you now.

Last Friday we got us some hefty rain and the basement flooded and some of the electrical outlets at home have been playing up a bit, including the one attached to the computer. The repair dude is due in today, but since I was coming past the library and have time to kill, I thought I'd stop in and check everything in the cyber world.

Being in a library, I feelit is now fitting to fulfill Sean@'s request of describing libraries in the US. I have only been inside one, that's my local one, but I will be going to the city again in the next 2 or 3 weeks and I will explore the New York City Public Library. I have been further intrigued by reading "Contest" by Matthew Reilly. Go and read it, or else.

The Greenwich Public Library is a large, but not imposing building from the outside. It has 3 floors and an abundance of books that one can scarcely comprehend. The reference section alone is the size of Logan (okay, I exaggerate, but this is one big library). I dont' think it's super new, but I would be surprised if it was more than 10 - 15 years old. There are tons of internet computers that you don't have to book, you just rock up and use for as long as you like. The non - fiction section is on the lower floor and that is where I have spent most of my time. The computers are on the lower floor as well. The building sinks slightly below street level and the wide windows reveal Putnam Avenue, and all its traffic and few pedestrians. The stairs spiral upwards in front of the entrance to the reading room, which is nice, but it's just a few couches and a table. Upstairs is the fiction section, cds, dvds, teen section, international languages and meeting room. The next floor up is the kiddies stuff and I haven't been there yet.

So that's the library. The staff are nice, and the fines are hefty if anything is overdue. Well, any fine is hefty after belonging to the Logan Library system where everything is free save photocopying.

Not much has been going on besides the flood. I have 3 new apologetix cds (delivered to my door in 2 days for under $30), and I'm going to their concert in 11 days. I get some time off next week and the week after that, which I'm thouroughly looking forward to, and I intend to milk my free time for all it is worth.

Hope all is well at home. That's all for now. Over and out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shadow said...

i think all is fine at home, havnt been there for 3 weeks now.

The library here at JCU townsville campus is pretty big.. 3 storeys, lots of books, hope i dont have to try finding anything in it anytime soon.. that'll take ages. speaking of taking ages ive got 200 more pages to print of lecture notes and the printer does about 1 per minute. stupid slow college printer

I agree with the logan library.. everything DOES seem expensive to it. no fines there.. here if you have a book overdue for a day i think its a $20 fine. that might just be for the 2 day hire textbooks, im not entirely sure... but its expensive, that much i can say.

I hope you have fun/can entertain yourself (knowing you, you will) whilst you have free time, and hope ya have plenty of fun at the concert!!

cya tiph

1:36 PM  
Blogger Ponyb said...

sounds interesting. 3 stories? i like the sound of that. *whistles*. cool. what endless possibilities of entertainment can be found in a good book...oh, and it's also a funny post 'cause my name is hyperlinked because the computer thought that i was Sean@someplace or other. hahaha.

9:17 PM  
Blogger SuperTiph said...

Apologetix concert moved to May 20 and New Jersey. What's the deal? My ticket is now able to admit an extra person. First person to get to Greenwich train station wins free admission to apologetix!!!

(Take a flight to JFK, then take the subway to grand central, take the metro north train south to greenwich. Usually platform 9 or 10).

yeah right

Tigers in a Cheese Song

3:46 AM  
Blogger Ponyb said...

"...take the metro north train south..."

how confusing.

4:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home